You are here means you are looking for the best Lord of the Rings board game.
My kids love the Lord of the Rings novel, and ever since they got to know that LOTR board games are also available in the market, they grew an obsession with that game. They had been badgering me for quite some time to buy them LOTR board games, but I had no idea where to buy good quality board games from. I checked into a nearby games store but did not like the size of the board game. It was too small, and sculptures were not of excellent quality either. Then my wife came across these LOTR board games by different brands on Amazon, and all seemed great.
We read the description and customers’ reviews and decided to order one game. The prices were reasonable too. We received our order in a short time and loved the quality of the game. So we ordered two more. Now, we will review these board games in detail for other people like us, looking for the best Lord of the rings board games. Kindly read this piece till the end and let us know in the comments what game you have decided to buy.
Table of Contents
Top 6 Lord of the Rings Board Game
- LOTR – Journeys in Middle-Earth
- Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
- Ares Games War of the Ring 2nd Edition
- FFG the Lord of the Rings: Journeys in the Middle Earth
- Risk: Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition
- Hasbro Games Monopoly – LOTR Trilogy Edition
What is the Lord of the Rings board game?
A board game based on the Lord of the Rings novel theme is called a LOTR board game. It has a board that includes map tiles and tiny sculptures that represent various characters. Players divide themselves into teams and build their armies by choosing those characters. The game package often includes the play guide that helps the players learn the rules of the game. Some LOTR games are also connected with a digital app that gives instructions to the players.
My Personal Experience
We first ordered LOTR – Journey to the Middle East. This game was connected to an app. That app gave all the instructions to the players, making the game much more exciting and easy to play. We bought this game for $69.31 and loved it. The sculptures and cards were of excellent quality.
We next ordered Ares Games War of The Ring 2nd Edition. It cost us $85.99, but it was worth it. 2 to 4 players can play this game, so my wife and I would play with my two sons. This board game had perfect dimensions, and the print and board quality were perfect.
Out third purchase was Hasbro Games Monopoly – LOTR Trilogy Edition. 2 to 6 players can play this game. It has a theme of LOTR but is a monopoly game. We love playing this game and are satisfied with the quality. We bought it for $139.49.
Comparison Table for Best Lord of the Rings Board Games
6 Best Lord of the Rings Board Games Product Review, Features
Fantasy Flight Games have introduced one of the best Lords of the Rings board game. It is a cooperative game that 1 to 5 players can play. The game has an exciting plot, and players enjoy it thoroughly. The significant part about this board game is that it is linked with an app. The app tracks your progress and also helps you navigate through the game. This board game includes 25 miniature enemies that make this game engaging and enjoyable. To learn more about this game, head on to its features section:
- This board game can be played by 1 to 5 players at one time.
- Game is cooperative and engaging.
- It is light in weight and easily portable.
- The weight of the board game is 0.8 Ounces.
- Recommended age for players is 14-35 years.
- Game time is more than 60 minutes.
- This board game is based on Lord of the Rings – Journeys in Middle Earth theme.
- Connected with an app.
- App tracks your progress and guides you throughout the game.
- Includes 25 enemy miniatures.
1 to 5 players can play this game at one time. It is based on the theme of LOTR – Journeys in the Middle Earth. This theme is fascinating, and players enjoy the game.
Unlike most board games, it can be played for more than an hour. This feature also adds to the excitement of the players. They can have a great time playing this fantasy board game.
Journeys in the Middle Earth board game are connected with an app. That app helps the players win the game, and also guide them through different routes and adventure. The app makes the game much easier and more fun for new players.
How to Play LOTR – Journeys in Middle-Earth
This game is connected with a digital app. Each player selects a hero, along with their figure of hero card and starting items. Players also have a skilled deck which is made up of various skill cards. Almost all cards contain some effect except one card that has no value or effect. When the players are ready, the app provides you with the story context and gives you instructions.
It will also inform you where to place your cards. The objectives of the players will differ in each round. However, the fundamental roles remain consistent. There are three phases in each round of the game: Action, Shadow, and Rally. In the action phase, each player uses their hero to perform up to two actions. The first action includes travel action.
Each map tile is made up of multiple spaces, separated by grey borders. When travelling, you can move up to two times in adjacent spaces. And you don’t need to use your second action immediately after the first. Map tiles featuring exploration tokens are considered unexplored. As soon as a hero moves into a place on the map tile for the first time, they explore it by selecting the matching tiles from within the app.
After this, they will result in new map tiles or tokens being added. Then you will receive new tiles, and by flipping these, you can convert these into inspiration tokens. There may also be personal tokens and search tokens on various spots on the map in addition to exploration tiles. These express various things and allow you to take interactive action. To interact, you must first select a relevant token. Then place that token in the safe space in the app and follow the instructions.
By following these simple rules, players play this engaging, interesting, and exciting game majorly given by the app.
- Light in weight.
- Easily Portable.
- Recommended for 1-5 players.
- Generous playing time.
- Aged 14-35 players can play this game.
- The game app does not start without an internet connection.
Why should you buy this?
This game is loved by kids who are fans of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. For the players’ convenience, this board game is connected with an app that gives all the instructions.
This card game is popular because of its short time duration and exciting plots. The game can be played by 1 to 4 players, and one round lasts for about 30-90 minutes. Due to its short duration, players can play this game many times and have fun.
- Board game works great for 2 to 4 players.
- Playing time varies between 30 to 90 minutes.
- Short playing duration keeps the game precise and exciting.
- 4 spheres of influence tactics are available. These are Lore, Spirit, and Leadership.
- Players can build a party of heroes from a bunch of notable characters.
- This is the first cooperative LCG.
- This game is in English, making it much easier to understand for the American players.
- Dimensions of the board game are 11.25 x 3 x 11.25 inches.
- This game weighs only 0.046 Ounces.
- Lightweight makes this card game easily portable.
Four spheres of influence are available, and the players build up their teams using the available characters. Influence tactics include Lore, Spirit, and Leadership, and this card game is based on Lord of the Ring’s iconic novels. Players thoroughly enjoy this exciting game.
The LOTR card game weighs only 0.046 Ounces, and due to this lightweight, it is easily portable. You can take this game anywhere and play it with your friends and family members. Exciting teams can be built in this game.
Number of Players
2 to 4 players can play this game in one go. It keeps the game from getting messed up, and the player enjoys it as well. Lord of the Rings card game is competitive and engaging, and players love it.
How to Play Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
The package of this board game includes everything you need to play the game. This game is scenario-driven. In the beginning, you will be grabbing a quest deck that goes with the relevant scenario. In the game, you work on each card’s objectives, and each player should finish at least one objective.
And the game scenario is defined by your quest decks. You can match the scenario by looking at your quest decks’ subtitles on the top of the card. The cards also have their names. These names allow you to learn the order in which the game is played. The lowest number is placed on top. If you flip the card, there is given a set of instructions. You should also pay attention to the scenario symbols given on the card. These symbols let you know which cards should be put in your encountered deck. The encountered deck is going to be full of monsters and threats. For each scenario, you only use the relevant encountered card and not all of them.
By reading the instructions on all the cards, players can play this relatively easy and exciting game.
- Generous playing time
- Great for 2-4 players
- Based on an exciting theme
- Recommended for 13-15 years old players
- The game is a bit difficult to learn.
Why should you buy this?
This card game is competitive and engaging, and players get completely involved playing. Players can build up their teams from great characters from the Lord of the Rings novel. This game is light in weight so that it can be taken anywhere and played with friends and family.
Ares Game of war is an excellent game for 2 to 4 players, and its playing time is 2 hours. The game is very engaging and competitive, and the players will have fun with this exciting game for about 2 hours. The game has 204 plastic Figures, from which teams are made.
- Ares Game can be played for 2 to 4 players.
- The game timing is 2 hours.
- Long-playing duration ensures that the player understands and enjoys the game thoroughly.
- Game board has two massive sections.
- Measurement of the game board is 70 x 100 cm.
- 16 Action dice, 5 Combat dice, and 76 cardboard counters are available in the package.
- Player Aids and Game rules have also been included in the package.
- Ares Game of War has 110 Event and Character cards.
- 204 plastic miniature figures make the game exciting and enjoyable.
- Game weighs only 6.47 Pounds, and due to its lightweight, it is easily portable.
Ares Game includes 204 plastic figures representing the armies and the characters from which players build their teams. More than 30 different sculptures add fun and excitement to the game.
Game Board Measurement
This game board has about 70 x 100 cm measurements. It has two massive sections, 16 section dice, five combat dice, and 76 cardboard centres.
The Ares Game package includes a Player Aid book, Game Rules, and about 110 event and Character Cards. All these items prove to be helpful for the newbie players.
How to Play Ares Games War of the Ring 2nd Edition
This game is played by 2 to 4 players and the playing time is around 3 hours. In this game, two teams focus on war and conflicts across the land of Middle Earth. Shadow forces are thirsty for the battle, and they fight with the ring bearers.
The shadow player has a vast army. This game also includes fellowship of the companion cards, all of which are piled up on one side. In the next step, the ring bearers enter the Rivendell and count the corruption and progress in this region. You should also separate the grey hunt tiles from the rest and place them separately. On the board, place the cards with matching symbols on the back. Give each player their starting decks. Each turn consists of 6 phases. These are:
- Recover action dice/ draw event cards.
- Fellowship phase.
- Hunt allocation.
- Action roll.
- Action resolution.
- Victory check.
Your victory is determined by the way you achieve these steps.
- Exciting theme.
- Great measurement.
- Game Rules included in the package.
- High-quality miniature figures.
- Easily portable
- Choking hazard of small parts by the kids
Why should you buy this?
This game is very engaging, and players enjoy playing it. The board game has excellent measurements and has two massive sections. The Game Rules guide and Players Aid book in the package has proven to help the newbie players learn the game.
This board game adds new adventures to the previous versions. The new thirteen scenarios take you from Mirkwood deep into Moria, and the players have to unlock this new campaign by themselves. All these features and many more, make this game one of the best Lord of the Rings board game.
- FFG game includes five new heroes.
- 5 new roles provide more options for your band of adventures.
- Thirteen scenarios in the game make it much more fun.
- The new campaign has to be unlocked by the players.
- New scenarios make the players travel from Mirkwood deep into Moria.
- The terrain is new and complicated, which adds more competition to the game.
- 20 new journey tiles help the players to explore more of the middle earth.
- Players can build the teams by themselves and fight off the villains.
- 1 to 5 players can play this game.
- Game weighs only 1.1 pounds and can be taken anywhere and played.
This board game has 13 new scenarios that allow the players to explore new regions of Middle-Earth. The terrain is rugged and adds to the adventure and excitement of the players.
The addition of new rugged terrain and 20 new journey map tiles make the players explore Middle-Earth.
The dimension of this board game is 11.63 x 11.63 x 2.88 inches. Such excellent dimensions do not affect the board game’s print and give the game a surreal look.
How to Play FFG the Lord of the Rings: Journeys in the Middle Earth
In the first step of the FFG game, each player draws six quest cards. Then the players roll the dice turn-wise, and then the opponent moves their cards accordingly. The players then distribute a deck of cards among each other. This way they get a lot of extra stuff such as bonuses etc. These cards can also provide various other benefits. Each player passes a card face down to the player on the left. They also have to discard a friendship icon. Players also need to make sure that they should have more ring tokens if they want to win.
In the next step, the players can draw the tiles until the track starts showing. You can play one brown card and one grey card, at most. By following the same rules given in the playbook, the play that collects the more coins is considered the winner.
- Perfect dimensions
- New terrain
- More exploration
- Suitable for 1-5 players
- Not recommended for kids younger than 12 years.
Why should you buy this?
This game allows the players to explore new imaginative lands. The addition of new terrains and tiles has added character to the Middle-Earth region.
This board game weighs only 3.45 pounds, and due to being light in weight, it can be easily carried anywhere and played with friends whenever you want. 4 players can play this game, and players find this game very competitive and engaging to learn more about this product, read its features section.
- This game is played by 4 players.
- It is light in weight.
- The game weighs only 3.45 pounds.
- Genre of this board game is strategy.
- Very competitive and engaging game for the players
- Dimensions of the game are 15.8 x 2.7 x 10.7 inches.
- Strongly recommended for ten years and older kids
- Players can choose amongst the Good and Evil forces and commands them throughout the game.
- The package includes specially sculpted characters, which represent eleven archers, Dark Riders, Eagles, and Cave trolls.
- Forty-two territory cards, 40 adventure cards, two wild cards, 3 red dice, and 2 black dice are also included in the package.
The package includes all the requisite items of the game. Forty-two territory cards, 40 adventure cards, two wild cards, 3 red dice, 2 black dice, 4 armies, a ring, and a 20 x 20″ game board I included in the package.
This RISK game, an adaptation of battles waged in Lord of the Rings, is recommended for ten-year-olds and older kids. Younger kids are not allowed to play this game due to the choking hazard because of smaller parts.
The game board has perfect dimensions. These are 15.8 x 2.7 x 10.7 inches. The print on the game board is visible because of its enormous size.
How to Play Risk: Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition
3 to 5 players play this game. It starts with a player selecting an army to play with. The army consists of cavalry equal to five and artillery equal to ten troops. Infantry equals one troop. Indigo has the highest roll. The game begins with a player placing the infantry on the board. Players continue to move infantry to the unoccupied land. Once all the territories are occupied with one infantry, players will begin to add infantry to their occupied territory.
They continue moving to the left until all players have finished placing their infantry. They do not need to be distributed evenly. When finished, the Risk card is shuffled and placed aside.
The game’s objective is to eliminate all other players, troops, and forces from the occupied territories on the board. On your turn, you choose a territory to attack and use the dice to determine the battle outcome.
The player that first places the infantry starts the gameplay. Players can begin perceiving new troops and placing them on the board. The number of occupied territories is divided by three and the result is the number of the troop received.
- Easy to carry
- Great dimensions
- Strategy genre
- Not recommended for kids under 9.
Why should you buy this?
This board game is a perfect board game for kids, based on a LOTR novel. It also includes the incredible sculptures of all the characters, from heroes to villains. Players get to choose between two teams and lead them together. All these features make this game very exciting and fun for kids.
A monopoly game based on the Lord of the Rings theme is what most of the players desire. This game has a fascinating theme where players explore different territories and gather power to move through a new region of Middle Earth. The game is light in weight and has excellent quality. The package includes the player’s guidebook and all the necessary items for the game.
- Players explore a new region and claim different territories of Middle-Earth.
- This is the Lord of the Rings-themed Monopoly game.
- Due to being light in weight, the game is easily portable.
- The game weighs only 2.5 pounds.
- It is recommended for eight years old and older kids.
- Dimensions of the game are 2.5 x 10.75 x 15.87 inches.
- The game package includes six collectible LOTR tokens.
- Players build fortresses and strengthen their hold on the territories.
- Relics are also collected in the game, such as stuff of the Wizards.
- Both the classic version and the special optional game can be played.
This monopoly game is based on the exciting Lord of the rings theme. Players explore new regions of the middle earth and claim their territories as they move forward. They can also collect the stuff of the Wizards as they move through the region.
The package contains six collectable tokens of The Lord of the Rings. It also contains the players’ guidebook in the package that helps them understand the rules.
Recommended age for this game is eight years old. However, older kids can also play this game. Younger kids are not advised to play due to fear of swallowing the tiny parts.
How to Play Hasbro Games Monopoly – LOTR Trilogy Edition
The player that earns the most money or is the last player standing wins this game. The board game has different areas from the middle, and different cards are associated with these areas. In this game, the players are buying and selling these properties. There are small figures from the Lord of the Rings game.
The first player picks one of these characters and places it on the GO of the board game. There is also a ring that is placed on the GO spot. Different properties are in different colour groups. Different ponies are also in the game, which is a substitute for different realms. The Ring is moved along the property. If a player ends up on the Ring and that property is unknown, the player owns that property. However, if someone owns the property, you have to pay them twice to own that property.
- Exciting theme
- Easy to play
- The package includes the guidebook.
- Recommended for eight-year-old and older kids
- 6 LOTR tokens in the package
- Not recommended for younger kids.
Why should you buy this?
This monopoly game has an exciting theme and kids love playing this game. The package has six collectible LOTR tokens. And the game also includes relics of the Wizards that players can collect while exploring different regions.
Buyers Guide for Best Lord of the Rings Board Games
In this article, we discussed the six best Lord of the rings board games in detail. Their pros, cons, and features were also described. Most of the time, when a customer is looking for a board game, they exactly know what do they want. However, sometimes, due to the overwhelming quantity of games in the market, they get confused and find it challenging to decide on one board game. This section will talk about the key points that should be kept in mind while purchasing a board game for your kids.
You can either go to your neighbourhood store and buy a game or order it online. We found the best quality LOTR board games on Amazon, so we would recommend ordering from there. The product’s description gives all the details of the game, and the customer’s reviews also help you build an opinion about the game. Here are the few tips you should always keep in mind while buying a board game:
Number of Players
Since these board games get more fun and enjoyable if more players are involved, therefore, always try to look for a game that at least four players can play. More than four players can play a few games. Such as Hasbro Monopoly Game, which 2 to 6 players can play at once? Similarly, kids love it when the player’s margin is large. Most of the Fantasy Flight Games involve 2-4 or 5 players in one game.
Another factor that matters the most is the playing duration of the LOTR board games. Most of the games last somewhere between an hour to 90 minutes. Some kids prefer longer games as they involve more focus and exploration, while others look for short-duration games. So depending on the choice of your kid, you can always pick a game accordingly. Most of the Fantasy Flight Games last for 90 minutes and more.
Some LOTR games have a war genre, while some have a strategic genre. This option also totally depends on your kid’s choice. If you have read the LOTR novels yourself, you must be aware of the story’s theme. So you can always buy a strategy or a war genre board game. Most of the time, both genres go parallel to each other, so it becomes difficult to differentiate between the two.
The more significant the board game’s dimensions, the clearer the print, and kids enjoy such games more. Risk LOTR trilogy Edition has 15.8 x 2.7 x 10.7 inches dimensions, and almost all other games have similar dimensions. It has another benefit that kids can play the game with much ease and comfort. They can move their armies and characters conveniently.
Apart from these things, the game’s weight should be light so the kid can carry them around easily. There are plenty of great options available for board games, and you can choose whatever theme you want.
Learn More: Best Adventure Board Games
Frequently Asked Questions
Which LOTR book is the longest?
The Fellowship of the Ring is the longest LOTR book.
Why can’t Gandalf touch the ring?
Gandalf cannot touch the One ring because he will become corrupt and a terrifying wizard-like Saruman if he touches it.
Why can’t Sam carry the ring?
Sam cannot carry the ring because he is not big enough to carry it. The burden of the ring was onerous for him to handle.
What is the longest board game ever?
The longest board game that people play these days is Twilight Imperium, which takes 4 to 8 hours to complete. Or Diplomacy, which takes about 6 hours to complete.
What are the top 5 board games of all time?
The top 5 board games of all time are:
- The Settlers of Catan.
Read More: Best Lord of the Rings Chess Sets
What is America’s favorite board game?
Monopoly: A history of the Origins is America’s favourite board game.
What is the most popular board game in the United States?
Chess is the most popular board game in the United States.
Is there a Lord of the Rings board game?
The board game “Lord of the Rings” is based on one of the most well-known books in history, The Lord of the Ring by J. R. R Tolkien that was published nearly 60 years ago and has been translated into over 30 languages since then. You can play with 2 to 4 players who will work together as a team trying their best to beat Sauron’s Dark Forces before it destroys all life in Middle Earth.
Although all the board games we reviewed in this article are our favourite, we recommend LOTR – Journeys In Middle-Earth. This game can be played by 1 to 5 players at one time.
- EPIC ADVENTURE GAME: Form your Fellowship and set out on your own adventures in this fully-cooperative, app-supported board game set in the fantastical land of Middle-earth! As the dark forces gather, players band together to unravel mysteries, make courageous choices, and fight against the evil that threatens the land.
- STRATEGY GAME: You and your friends become heroes of the Free Peoples of Middle-earth, preparing your skills and testing your might and wisdom in combat against the encroaching darkness. Each of the iconic characters you can choose to embody have their own special abilities to contribute to your Fellowship, giving each one a distinct identity for your campaign.
- COOPERATIVE GAME: Throughout Journeys in Middle-earth, you must work together with the rest of your party to survive a series of perilous adventures that sees you battling powerful foes, discovering lost treasures, uncovering forgotten lore and more.
- HIGHLY VARIABLE: No matter how many times you play a particular adventure, no two experiences will be the same. The Journeys in Middle-earth app procedurally generates a portion of each scenario from the very beginning, including the size and layout of the map, the enemies and allies that are encountered, side quests you may encounter, and the events that plague your heroes.
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS AND AVERAGE PLAYTIME: This epic adventure board game for adults and teens is made for 1 to 5 players and is suitable for ages 14 and older. Average playtime is approximately one hour.
In this article, we thoroughly reviewed the 6 best lords of the rings board game. We talked about their features, pros, and cons, also gave a buyers’ guide to help the readers choose the best game without any inconvenience. I am hopeful this article will prove to be helpful to you. Please let us know in the comment section which gaming you are going to buy. Thank you for reading!
Veronica is a Green Bay-based freelance writer and editor with extensive experience with board games. When not busy scribbling her thoughts, you might find her in her garden, hiking out in the woods, or exploring new food joints.
Veronica is a die-hard board game and chess hobbyist by night. She likes to try out new games and is always on the lookout to recruit new players for her game night (so beware!). When not playing board games or throwing darts, she is usually busy painting miniatures (or doing other nerdy stuff).
She is the CEO & Content Writer of Indoor Games Zone. She shares her expertise from years of playing chess, board games, and darts.
Last update on 2022-05-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API