Ping pong is a very entertaining and dynamic sport. Everyone can play it, regardless of age or physical condition. If you have a patio, an outdoor gallery, or a space to the condition as a game room, learning how to make a ping pong table and finding a great alternative to exercise while spending quality time with family and friends is a great choice. In some regard, the question “what are ping pong tables made of?” is usually popular among many people today.
Making a ping pong table in our own home is possible. Besides being a very economical option, it can be the perfect excuse to spend a great weekend with the kids sharing experiences and good and fun moments that they will always remember.
Furthermore, to answer the question “What are Ping Pong Tables Made of?” you may probably already know that the board is the most important part of the table because that is where the game will take place. Although there are many materials to make it, you are usually encouraged to make it out of wood. Apart from being an inexpensive material, it is easier to work on and get, and it is also where the bounce of the ball has the best response. Other options for the board could be glass, fiber, steel, marble, concrete, methacrylate, etc.
Table of Contents
How to Make Ping Pong Table
Ping pong stands as one of the most fun games to enjoy with friends or family. Learning How to make a ping pong table with your own hands is not expensive or difficult. The advantages of making your table yourself are many. First of all, it will allow you to save some money compared to what a purchased board costs. Also, you will be able to make something of quality that lasts a long time and even serves other purposes.
Furthermore, thinking of a table is simpler, but, without a doubt, building your ping pong table from scratch is going to demand a little more creativity. Don’t worry: it’s not difficult, and it’s going to be cheaper than buying a manufactured one. Most of the materials needed to build it can be bought easily, and others are most likely already in your house.
Read More: Best Ping Pong Table under 200
First of all, you have to decide where you will put the table to see what measurements are appropriate. It is advisable to have the official measurements and, if you have little space, build it in a folding model to adapt it to your space. We share the example of a ping pong table below:
What Tools are you going to use?
You will need some tools for making the ping pong table; if you have these tools already, its fine. In case you don’t have all these necessary tools, get it now and start making your ping pong table.
- Convenient and space-saving design of the 6 in 1 screwdriver reduces the number of tools users must carry
- Chrome-plated bar resists corrosion
- Ergonomically designed handle for comfort and strain-free use
- 6-way all-in-one comfort grip screwdriver
- 6 tips include #1 and #2 Phillips, 1/4 and 3/16 slotted, and 1/4 and 5/16 nut driver
No products found.
- Drop forged and heated treated alloy steel head provides maximum striking strength
- Sharpened and curved claw ends generates maximum nail-pulling leverage
- Finely polished finish with rust-preventative clear coating insures durability and longevity
- Built-in magnetic nail holder for easy start with one-handed operation
- Ergonomically designed anti-vibration handle offers extra comfort and non-slip gripping
- This FULL-SIZE 9 Inch sponge painting roller is the quickest and easiest way to sponge paint a room!
- This FULL-SIZE 9 Inch sponge painting roller is the quickest and easiest way to sponge paint a room!
- Use with Faux Finish Glaze for a decorative sponge painted wall finish.
- You control the faux finish paint finish results! Sponge roll to your desired look.
- Fits standard USA 9" roller frame. Washable. Use for faux finishing for years to come!
3 Medium Hinges
Paper tape or masking tape
- Gentle to the skin
- Latex-free and hypoallergenic for sensitive patients
- Highly breathable to maintain skin integrity
- Holds well on damp skin for secure placement
- WOOD REPAIR KIT - This includes 6 Color markers, 6 paper wrapped wax sticks and 1 wax stick sharpener packaged in a blister card.
- 6 UNIQUE COLORS - Maple, Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Mahogany and Black markers to cover up the color of your scuffed furniture.
- WOOD REPAIR MARKERS & WOOD FILLER STICKS - Our furniture markers touch up are a great way to fill in deep scratches and knicks. Katzco’s wood touch up markers are the perfect home improvement tool.
- MAKE TOUCH UPS A BREEZE - Simply draw over the scratch, allow it to quickly dry and it only takes seconds to rejuvenate your wood floor and unsightly furniture scratches to like-new appearance! Scratch repair is something everyone can do!
- PREMIUM QUALITY - Top quality furniture touch up markers that cover scratches, nicks, scuffs, and discoloration on furniture, cabinets, beds and more. 100% effective and permanent.
Green and white latex paint
- Use for a variety of indoor and outdoor project surfaces including wood, metal, plaster, masonry or unglazed ceramic
- Water-based acrylic formula is low odor, resist chips and provides long-lasting protection
- Covers up to 120 sq ft and dries to touch in 30 minutes for quick project completion
- Flat finish minimizes surface imperfections, goes on smoothly and provides excellent hide
- Prior to application sand surfaces with 180/200 grit sandpaper, then wash with a degreaser, allow the surface to dry and apply paint
Fine gray sandpaper
Two pieces of 1.1 x 1.1 meters of pressed wood of 9 mm thickness.
Procedures to Make a Ping Pong Table
Manufacturing this type of table is sometimes complicated. The more details you want to add to it, the more time and work you will have to dedicate to it, but you don’t need much to have a simple version. Here is a step by step guide:
Take the board and mark with a pencil where you are going to place the hinges. To do this, present the hinge where it will be installed and mark its outline with the pencil. Do the same with the other two. One at each end, 7 cm from the edge, and the remaining one exactly in the middle.
With a chisel, reduce the space where the hinges will go, trying to make them just flush with the wood, that is, and the cut-out is the same thickness as the hinges so that they are even with the other part of the table. Next, put another mark in the second position where the hinges will go.
After completing the previous steps now with sandpaper, scrape all the finishes of the recesses made for the hinges, edges, and spaces that could later make it difficult to install.
Once finished, you can start painting it. With a sponge roller, you have to apply the green paint on both the board’s surfaces and along the edges. If necessary, give it two table tennis surface coatings.
Once the necessary coats of paint have been applied and the boards dry, the white lines must be painted, which are 2 cm thick for the sides and 0.5 cm for the central dividing line. Ideally, mark the 2 cm on each side of the table and place masking tape across the table between the two points. Once this is done, paint the lines with the white latex.
Once they are painted, with a drill and a wooden wick, drill a little and place the lag screws. For this, you can find kits where exactly the amount and type of screws are needed along with the hinges. Just keep in mind that the screws’ height should not be more than the thickness of the wood.
To finish, you need to put a net. And the table is now ready for the championship to begin at home!
Dimensions of a Ping Pong Table
Homemade ping pong tables usually have dimensions and designs as variable as people’s imagination is infinite. That is why ping pong tables can be made of any material and different resistance. This causes that its location tends to be very versatile. There is a propensity to place them inside homes since the materials that make it up normally do not have resistance to adverse weather conditions. However, some take advantage of every last resource they have to make their homemade ping pong table. Therefore, they use the table they have outside their house, those located in the garden, the terrace, or on any roof-, dressing it and leaving it in optimal conditions to enjoy the game.
The regulation measurements of the ping pong table are 2.74 m long by 1.52 m wide. In height, it must be 76 cm. Generally, the board should be at least 90 mm thick. The net, for its part, must be 15 cm high. Colors can be blue or green, with a line 2 cm wide around the entire perimeter and 0.3 cm across the central dividing line. All this information on the dimensions of a ping pong table is quite important when looking to make a ping pong table and shouldn’t be ignored.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of wood is used for ping pong tables?
Mostly, plywood, such as pine and spruce, are usually used for making ping pong tables. Both wood types usually work great about giving your table an excellent finish. The plywood ping pong table also gives your ball an excellent bounce.
Can you make your ping pong table?
Yes. Making your ping pong table will be the most interesting choice to equip your home, bar, or community with this versatile game. This can be easily done through the steps highlighted above.
How thick should a ping pong table be?
As earlier highlighted, the board should be at least 90 mm thick.
Can I paint my ping pong table?
Yes. For this task, we recommend using latex paint. This type of paint has a base of acrylic polymers that gives it elasticity, resistance, adhesion, certain hydrophobic conditions, convenient characteristics to resist the passage of time, and different use conditions. It also covers completely, dries fast, dilutes well with water, and washes off easily. It further offers three versions of finishing:
Glossy: This is quite washable, waterproof, and reflective.
Satin: it has a more silky finish and is quite pleasant to the eye. It is also highly resistant to dirt and the passage of time. It is easily washable too.
Matte: it doesn’t reflect light, and it is easily washable as well.
Can you waterproof a ping pong table?
Yes. If you plan to use the ping pong table outdoors, you must waterproof it completely to prevent it from getting destroyed by rain and dew.
Can you resurface a ping pong table?
Yes. This can be done through the following steps:
- Take off the net
- Take off the net holder
- Put some tape on all the boundary lines
- Carefully sand the tabletop
- Paint the tabletop
- Refinish the boundary lines
- Reinstall the net holder and the net
How do you get scuff marks off ping pong tables?
The best way to get scuff marks off ping pong tables is to dampen a cloth with vinegar solution and wipe thoroughly until all the marks come off.
In conclusion, there has been a growing trend where people tend to design their objects according to their tastes. And to feel the satisfaction of having made it with their own hands. With regards to ping pong tables, this trend can also be seen. As a result, highlighted above are all the ping pong table DIY guidelines to follow if you want to make your own homemade ping pong table without hassles. Furthermore, an extensive answer has also been given to this popular question: “what are ping pong tables made of?”
Mark is a Bloomberg BusinessWeek-based digital entrepreneur, blogger, and table tennis enthusiast. He is a former professional table tennis player with the career-best USATT ranking of 2689. He is also an ITTF Level 3 certified coach and conducts weekend coaching programs in and around the New York area. Mark is also a pool player by passion. He was first introduced to the game of pool at a very early age by his granddad. He had a natural knack for the game and quickly learned the ropes, and by the time he was 15, he was already participating in local leagues. He aims to make it into the APA league someday! Mark started his own blog by starting Indoor Games Zone, where he loves to share his years of experience with the audience. He covers ping pong, pool, air hockey, shuffleboard, and foosball.
- Ping pong
- Air Hockey
Last update on 2022-05-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API