If you are an enthusiastic chess player, you can agree that finding the best chess tables can be exhausting with so many choices on the market to choose from. However, you need a high-quality chess table whether you plan to play chess as a professional or for leisure.
Those days are gone when we used to hog the dinner table, only to be interrupted and immediately told to clean up before mealtime. Well, to help with your selection, we’ve prepared the ultimate buyer’s guide for chess enthusiasts like you.
The game of chess is a long-standing tradition that has been around for centuries. As such, it’s only natural that many people would want to buy their own chess set and play the game in their home. However, not all tables are created equal! That’s why we’re here with our list of the best chess tables so you can find your perfect table today.
Read the rest of this blog post for more information about what makes a good quality table plus some popular choices among shoppers!
Top 5 Chess Tables On Amazon
- Olivieu Intelligente Deluxe Olive Chess Table is best for comfort and style with good shape to showcase natural wood form and grain at $149.95
- Hathaway Fortress Pedestal Chess Table is best as it includes two comfortable padded chairs & designed for board games at $832.09
- Timberwings Handmade Chess Table with Drawers is best for well-oiled table surfaces of components with drawer design that can be opened from both sides at $299.00
- Beaumont Mango Wood Chess Table is best for its raw and natural finish with regal design & stable and robust wooden construction at $449.24
- Greyson Living Walnut Chess Table is best for its natural and simply crafted design, stable construction with doubles as a coffee table ,and affordable at $173.82
Comparison Table for Best Chess Tables
6 Best Chess Tables Product Reviews
To start our list of the best chess tables on the market is this chess table from Olivieu. This table easily stands out because of its beauty and natural asymmetry. The inherent irregularities of this chess table generally don’t match with a modern style interior. Nevertheless, it is a centerpiece of its own, making it a great gift for any chess lover you know.
Because of its rustic aesthetic, the playing platform may not be perfect even or free from crevices and cracks. Nevertheless, the table’s imperfections give indelible proof that it is handcrafted and not manufactured by machines – a feature that makes the product stand out.
This chess table is a showcase of beauty and a great display of stability and durability. This chess table is crafted with a rare kind of Olive hardwood that is long-lasting and difficult to obtain. It also features an exquisite grain pattern that is visually pleasing.
With the expert craftsmanship involved in its production, the table has a second option of being end-table if you stack it on top of another, larger one. Furthermore, you can also place it on the floor for a game of chess, checkers, or backgammon. This makes it a great choice for anyone that is after versatility. It is also available in three sizes to choose from, including; small, medium, and large.
- Handcrafted table designed for comfort and style
- It is shaped to showcase natural wood form and grain.
- Table dimensions: 17.3 x 17.3 inches
- Table height: 3.94 inches
- Table weight: 6.6 lbs.
- Made of authentic and rare olive wood
- The wood surface is skillfully oiled and sanded.
- Includes a drawer for storage
- Sturdy low profile design
- Sustainable and natural design
- Portable built that is easy to disassemble and transfer
- Easily assembled, set up, and maintained
- Includes tabletop olive wood luxury chess pieces
- A natural beauty that can make for a great decorative piece
- Well-crafted wood with rustic visual aesthetic
- Available in various sizes
- The table has a low profile height for versatile use
- Made with olive hardwood that is easy to maintain
- Includes a drawer with adequate space
- It comes with a high-quality wooden chess set
- Its irregular shape may not suit the interior design
- The table is not standalone and must be placed on top of another table
If you’re a chess lover and you saved up a corner of your home for your beloved activity, then this product might be what you need. This complete set conveniently includes cohesively designed armchairs with a matching wooden table. With this, you will save time and energy looking for a chess table and a separate set of chairs to pair it with.
It also comes with high-quality game pieces for chess, checkers, and backgammon. Also included are built-in drawers with adequate storage dimensions.
This Fortress chess furniture set from Hathaway is the only multi-unit product on this list, and it offers great value to the user. Aside from being a worthwhile addition to your home, it is also quite simple to assemble and set up. The company is also keen on sending replacements should there be any damages to the shipped components.
This product may be an ideal investment for most people, especially those devoted to the game. It is among one of the best chess table sets recommended for established chess professionals. Nevertheless, those who consider chess and board games a leisure activity can also find comfort with this handsome and well-made furniture set.
It can suit any area of your home with its classic aesthetic – whether as an accent for your living room or dining area or as a focal point in the reading room or den. Therefore, anytime you fancy a good old game of chess, checkers, or backgammon, this furniture set is surely a long-lasting companion you can rely on.
- A table set including two comfortable padded chairs
- Pedestal table designed for board games
- Table dimensions: 28 x 28 inches
- Table height: 31 inches
- Table weight: 102 lbs.
- Made with authentic solid birch
- Includes hardwood veneers and poly-resin pedestal
- Wide enough tabletop including a chess set
- Recessed and reversible surface for backgammon and checkers
- Includes two built-in drawers for storage
- Sturdy design with durable construction
- It comes with a 180-day warranty
- A complete set with a stylish uniformed design
- Multifunctional and comfortable to use
- Adequately spaced built-in drawers
- Durable and stable construction
- Traditional aesthetic to suit any interior space
- Versatile tabletop design
- Features a well-oiled and sheer surface
- It can be a bit too expensive
- Too heavy to be move and assembled by one person
One can never go wrong with the classic and simple handmade chess table like this unit from Timberwings. This table offers a good deal for your hard-earned money with a design subtly derived from Mughal artistry and construction made from authentic Sheesham or Indian Rosewood.
It bears noting that this kind of wood is a premium, authentic, and can only be grown in India. So with that, this wood is also legally grown and obtained by Timberwings.
Functionally straightforward, this chess table comes with a square metal base for reinforced stability. This way, you will experience little to no wobbling during your gameplay.
Unlike other models, this table does not come in a set. The good thing about this is that you can choose new chairs or use the chairs in your own home to suit your style and comfort.
Moreover, the clean and shiny polymer finish of the table’s surface makes it easy to clean and maintain. It is also built for convenient assembly and set-up, even for just one person. So with this kind of product, you can generally see what you’re paying for, and you don’t have to break the bank for your little luxuries.
While it has a touch of traditional aesthetic, this chess table can be a dainty addition to your modern interiors. So, if you’re thinking of getting a chess table for your home, this product is worth considering.
In addition to that, its expert craftsmanship is better highlighted by its visual simplicity. You may also find it beneficial that both sides come with carpeted drawers to store your valued chess and board game pieces. While one of its key downsides is that it doesn’t come with game pieces, this can be one way to save you money if you already have some pieces to play with.
- Table dimensions: 20 x 20 inches
- Table height: 20 inches
- Table weight: 23.15 lbs
- Pedestal table with flat square base
- Handmade and simple with traditional Mughal design
- Constructed with Sheesham or Indian Rosewood
- Authentic and durable wood construction
- Tabletop thickness: 7 inches
- 2 built-in 12-inch drawers
- Clean and shiny polymer finish
- Carpeted drawers on both sides
- Easy to assemble and maintain
- Beautiful yet modest construction
- Well-oiled table surfaces of components
- Drawer design that can be opened from both sides
- Affordable yet cost-effective chess table
- Well-finished varnished tabletop pattern
- Good value for a reasonable cost
- Relatively lightweight table design
- It does not include chess pieces
- It can be too short for most adult users
If you prefer an exquisite blend of rugged and regal, then this podium-like chess table from Beaumont is a good option to consider. Besides, this wooden chess table already looks like a chess piece.
With its pedestal base and wide recessed tabletop, this table suits the rustic aesthetic impeccably. Moreover, it’s one of the products that come with dainty wooden chess sets that can double as a decorative accent for your home.
Handcrafted, functional, and modest, the Beaumont Mango chess table is built with solid mango wood and is relatively lightweight. It is also easy to assemble and is generally long-lasting and easy to maintain.
While it may seem like it’s cheaply made, it is expertly crafted and may cost you a pretty penny. But impressively, this solid wood chess set can match any pair of stools you have in your home.
The furniture piece would be best placed in your den, reading room, or a nook by your dining area or living room. While you can put this anywhere in your home, we highly recommend that this should not be placed near windows or in outdoor spaces. This is because the material is not finished with a protective coating or varnish, and natural elements may damage the wood and affect its shelf life.
Another benefit of getting this type of chess table is its square size and stable form. Unlike other pedestal types, this assumes the shape of a podium, thus reducing its chances of toppling over. This is especially beneficial if you live in a home with children and pets.
Lastly, this can also be a great place to play checkers, backgammon, and card games. It can ideally cater to 2 people up to 4 people at maximum and make for a great addition to your home.
- Table dimensions: 21.5 x 21.5 inches
- Table heights: 27 inches
- Table weight: 17 lbs.
- Pedestal – podium type chess table
- Handmade with natural solid mango wood
- Game table with sturdy construction
- Raw finish with authentic wood grain
- Sustainable and natural design
- Easily assembled, set up, and maintained
- Ideal for 2 to 4 people
- Square size and podium shape
- Includes a tabletop painted wood chess set
- Raw and natural finish with regal design
- Stable and robust wooden construction
- It has a distinctive wood grain
- The table has a workable height
- It comes with a minimal wood chess set
- Recessed tabletop for backgammon and checkers
- Aesthetic can match any seating option
- Not the most weather-resistant wood material
- It does not include drawers for storage
Last on our list is this wood chess table from Greyson Living. Clean, modest, and conventionally designed, this product doesn’t exactly look like a table made specifically for chess or board games. However, it is very versatile, and this makes it a common option for those who are occasional chess players.
At a glance, this isn’t a table that qualifies as an accent or a decorative piece. Still, it has more to offer behind its humble façade. It is made with an exquisite combination of MDF, hardwood veneers, and engineered Walnut wood. Hence, this table takes on a form that ensures optimal stability and durability.
One thing to love about this table is that it features under-top storage instead of drawers for a more seamless design. While this may appear bulkier than other chess table designs, what we appreciate about this table is that it can blend into any home.
Given its naturally casual look, it doesn’t draw much attention to itself as would an intricately designed chess table. Instead, its simplicity renders it useful on many fronts.
Moreover, the expert construction of the wood ensures that it is long-lasting and endures over the years. It should also be noted that this product is quite affordable, so this is a good option to consider if you’re on a budget.
On the downside, this table is quite a heavy table, so setting up and assemblage of components can be a challenge to do on your own. In that regard, it is suggested that you get help when assembling it. Ultimately, if you’re looking for a chess table that you can rely on for a long time, then this is a good option to consider.
- Table dimensions: 24 x 24 inches
- Table height: 24 inches
- Table weight: 55lbs
- Handcrafted standard table with rounded edges
- Made with engineered wood and veneer
- Durable construction with a well-oiled dark walnut surface
- A great addition to reading rooms
- Modest and sturdy 4-legged design
- Tabletop wood veneer surfaces
- Reversible top flips for backgammon and checkers
- Modest design with a stable form
- Easy to assemble and maintain
- Natural and simply crafted design
- Stable construction
- Doubles as a coffee table
- Well-finished versatile surface for various games
- The color blends well with contemporary interiors
- Ergonomic dimensions to suit all users
- It can be too heavy to assemble on your own
- It doesn’t come with drawers
Buyers Guide of Best Chess Tables
There are many chess tables on the market, and finding the most suitable for your needs can be overwhelming. Here is a buying guide to help you:
Size of Chess Tables and Chairs
Before shopping for a chess table, make sure that you consider the available space. If you have a lot of room, you will not be limited in the design and size of chess tables and chairs you choose. However, if you don’t have a lot of space, opt for backless stools that you can easily push below the table.
Something else worth noting is the shape of your chess table, including round, square, and rectangular. Chess tables come in different shapes, and your choice will depend on your personal preference and style of the room. Besides, around chess table is suitable for homes with children.
With many materials to choose from, you need to figure out which one will work best for your home’s interior design and bring out your personality. Generally, wood is a popular option because it is durable, versatile, and complements most interior designs. On the other hand, plastic and veneer are cost-effective, while marble or granite is weather resistant and great for outdoor chess tables.
Playing chess is a pastime enjoyed by many for centuries, and it’s no surprise to find so many different options available when looking for your perfect game table. You can choose from traditional designs up to modern styles with quirky details specific to you! A little imagination will go a long way in finding something just right.
For those who enjoy the esthetics of a board, chess clocks, and pieces all on display when you are not playing (or for those who just don’t have anywhere else to put them), then owning a table without drawers may be your best bet. However, if storage space is an issue in your household or apartment with limited closet space or cabinets where these items can get lost in the shuffle, other things like clothes and shoes that take up so much room, then having some sort of drawer area would make sense!
Chess tables are available in various styles and price ranges, but the most limiting factor is your budget. Buying from an online store may be cheaper than buying locally or at a furniture store because shipping prices can often exceed manufacturing costs. That being said, certain handcrafted and custom-made styles are only available at higher price points; if you want that style, it’s better to save up enough money before settling on something less expensive, which will disappoint you later!
If you don’t already have a set of chess pieces, it may not matter to you if they aren’t included with the purchase of your new table. However, suppose there is no time for us to ship them separately and get them before Christmas (or other occasions). In that case, an all-inclusive package will allow you or someone else in your family who plays chess can play right away without having to wait another day!
If buying a brand new game board doesn’t enough for some people want something more than just a few regular blocks on their coffee table? Try out our Modern Chess Table Set that includes everything needed: one glass tabletop piece measuring 34 inches by 26 inches; two white plastic Staunton style King Pieces.
Benefits of Multipurpose Chess Tables
While getting a product made for a specific purpose is generally considered the better option by many, multipurpose ones also come with perks that may come in handy. Some of them include:
Specificity does make the character and design of a product distinguishable. For instance, it is easy to recognize a table that is particularly made for playing chess. However, not every person or buyer has a space in their home just for that activity.
A multipurpose chess table comes with great versatility and allows you to do things other than playing games. It might even be a good place to create decorative pieces we want within our line of sight.
Multipurpose is Modern and Adaptive
Modern and contemporary interior design mainly warrants multifunctional furniture, especially in households with limited living space. Moreover, given its nature, it assists in achieving better convenience because users are no longer limited to using the object in a specific way.
This adaptive approach to useful components of our home saves us space and unnecessary costs. While we all have the prerogative to get furniture pieces that reflect who we are, opting for solid hardwood and bulky chess tables wouldn’t seem so sustainable if you’re renting out an apartment or if your home is already crowded.
A Design for All
To conclude, one thing that makes the design of furniture efficient is its universality. The simpler or more convenient it is to use for different types of people, the better the design. That said, when choosing the best chess table for you, it helps to put things into perspective before zeroing in on one choice. Then again, when in doubt, opt for a multipurpose unit.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best material for chess tables and chairs?
Generally, wood is considered a versatile material for furniture. For that, it is the top choice for most homeowners. Not only is it cozy and homely, but it is also easy to repair and maintain. In addition, authentic hardwoods are also durable and long-lasting.
Do you need custom-made chess tables?
The need for a custom-made chess table will depend on your budget and the available space in your home. While most people may consider it a luxury to have, most professional chess players consider owning a custom-made chess table necessary.
Why you need a chess table for home?
If you are a family or have a family member enthusiastic about chess and other board games, getting one for your home can improve the playing experience. However, this may not be necessary if you are content with just getting a chessboard.
What is a chess table tor?
A chess table is generally a table that serves as a playing platform for chess, checkers, and backgammon. It may also include storage for chess and board game paraphernalia in compartments or drawers.
How much is a chess table?
The cost of a chess table depends on its material, size, and features. In approximation, chess tables can be as cheap as $100 or as high as a few thousand. However, tables that come with chess sets, storage compartments, seating furniture, and other additional features may cost more.
What is the best height for a chess table?
The best height for tables when playing chess may differ from person to person, depending on their height and stature. That said, tables around 20 inches tall are recommended for children, while tables that are 27 inches or higher are generally ideal for adult use.
How do you make a chess tabletop?
When making a chess tabletop, see to it that the surface is even. Well-crafted chess tables usually have sanded surfaces with a lacquer coating to improve the quality of the furniture.
How tall should a chess table be?
Chess tables usually range from 20 inches to 27 inches, but some models may be higher or smaller. In addition, there are chess tables that might as well be a tabletop because of their low height. Before making your purchase, make sure that you test the table to see if it has a comfortable height.
If you are a chess player, we hope that you find this article useful in helping you find the right chess table for your needs. It is integral to your purchasing process that you research the products you are putting your money into. With many options in the market, it pays to consider important factors that will enhance your playing experience. All the above chess tables are worth considering for both novice and expert players.
Veronica is a Green Bay-based freelance writer and editor with extensive experience in covering different sports and games. When not busy scribbling her thoughts, you might find her in her garden, hiking out in the woods, or exploring new food joints.
Veronica is a die-hard board game and chess hobbyist by night. She likes to try out new games and is always on the lookout to recruit new players for her game night (so beware!). When not playing her favorite game is Dart Playing, She is usually busy painting miniatures (or doing other nerdy stuff).
She is the CEO & Content Writer of Indoor Games Zone. She shares her expertise on chess, board games, and dartboard on our website to help people get the best tips and products they are searching for.
- Board Games
- Dart Board
Last update on 2021-07-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API